Much about nothing

My written and spoken English is deteriorating! This is extremely unpleasant. I have to make sure to write more, but it's been difficult to find the time and the inspiration lately. It's a good thing I'll have some further training in a couple of months, when I'll spend some time in the States again.

It's been challenging and interesting to make ends meet when it comes to volunteer work and secular work. At first, I didn't have enough projects to support myself financially. Now it's the other way around; I could easily work full time if I wanted to. But I don't want to. Let go of the best experience of my life? No way!

Online teaching is the perfect pioneer job, because you can work from home, and you can also be very flexible with the hours. I teach Swedish as a foreign language to physicians who are about to come to Sweden and work. Although it is challenging sometimes - mostly because I've never done this type of teaching before and it requires a lot of research - it is also very rewarding when I see the motivation and the fast progress of my students. Once a week I also teach Swedish face-to-face to employees at a pharmaceutical company in Gothenburg.

The volunteer work is going well. I had a flying start in September, when I didn't work as much and the weather was nice. October was agreeable too with a lot of sunshine and comfortable temperatures, but the weather in November is capricious. And it's so dark. Then comes December, that has enough of its own troubles (to paraphrase Matthew).

Speaking of something entirely else, I heard the most hilarious expression the other day. Instead of calling someone ugly, you can say cosmetically challenged. It's probably been around for a while, but it takes some time for things to travel to Sweden (or to me; I'm a bit slow sometimes). Tragically, my imperfection sometimes takes the form of very intricate insults that almost nobody is able to understand, because I use such unusual words. Not nice, and certainly not recommendable, but there it is. Obviously, I say this partly with tongue in cheek, but to avoid worrying people, I can also add that I'm working on becoming a better person. Aren't we all? ;)


Comments