In orbit

The past few months have been incredibly hectic because I have been involved in so many different projects. It all started when I decided to finally get my certificate for teaching Swedish as a second language and keep on teaching as many classes as I usually do. Additionally, I agreed to create an e-learning course for my company, which turned out to take much more time and energy than I expected. Sometimes I felt as if my head would explode, but fortunately it never did. However, I might have blown some fuses. 

One late night I was on my couch in a vegetative state, as per usual. I didn't really know what to do, so I started watching one of the educational channels on TV. There was one interesting program after another and the final program was about telescopes. Although it was incredibly exciting, I fell asleep. Before getting knocked out though, I caught a photograph taken from the Hubble telescope. At first it looked like many, many stars, but when they zoomed in the stars were actually galaxies! 

The next day I found out that the program I had been watching was a part of a BBC documentary about space. Consequently, I finished watching the telescope episode (which was episode 5/6) and continued to watch the other ones. Our outer solar system was utterly captivating and the planet Neptune really caught my attention. Since only one space craft, Voyager 2, has flown by Neptune, very little is known about this planet. It is the last planet in our solar system (sorry Pluto), and the atmosphere consists of hydrogen, helium and methane, which makes it appear blue. The "weather" on Neptune is cold and windy, with wind speeds more than 2000 kilometers per hour. Insane! It takes Neptune 165 earth years to orbit the sun, so if it was habitable you could have really long vacations here. 

Interestingly, when things are too stressful to handle, I find myself travelling in space to visit Neptune. I even tried to enter the atmosphere, but panicked because of the strong winds. Orbiting this mysteriuos, beautiful, blue planet is more than enough. 

So whenever things get rough nowadays, I'm going to Neptune. If you want to join me, check out NASA's awesome webpage. 



Comments

  1. Hej,
    Jeg heder Renate.
    Jeg er venner med Dolly i Los Angeles.
    Hvor lange vil du blive her i Cali?
    Snart reise jeg til Skandinavien. Det ville være hyggeligt at møde hinanden, synes jeg.
    Jeg har arbejdet flere ganger i Norge som underviser i samarbejde med Oslostrikkefestivalen. Pga det lærte jeg norsk. Senere, i løbe af pandemien, være jeg strandet ind i landet hos Danmark i 6 måneder.
    Ses måske på lørdag. Hej då!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hej Renate! Tack för din kommentar. Jag kommer att vara i Kalifornien till den 13 mars. Synd att vi missade varandra igår men hoppas att vi kan träffas i framtiden. Du är välkommen till Sverige!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment