Same procedure as every year

 With the risk of repeting myself, this will be a post about winter, the season that is currently upon us. More specifically, it is about the expectations we have on ourselves and why we might need to take a step back and lay low. 

Where I live, winter equals darkness, cold and mostly overcast or rain. All of that I can live with, since it does not excessively hinder my daily outdoor activities. Of course, I often hesitate to get out after dark, so the time frame for doing things is much shorter than in the summertime, but all in all, it works. I like running and jogging, and this is totally doable whether it is dark, cloudy or cold. However, if it starts snowing, it's a different story. Yesterday, I looked out the window and saw the snow falling, but I thought "it probably looks worse than it is", so I went outside for a run. Man, did I regret that decision! What I failed to notice was the heavy wind, which caused the snow to get into my eyes and throat and completely whip my poor face into an ice sculpture. I'm not particularly a fan of frozen water lying around on the ground either, because I cannot go as fast as I am used to and it can be very slippery. But I found a remedy! Removable spikes for my shoes, and they work wonders. Since I like being outdoors so much, and also since I strongly feel the need to get my daylight every day, I try to make up for every obstacle that may get in my way. I have warm, comfortable clothes, hats, mittens, scarfs, rain clothes, reflective lights, warm shoes, and now removable spikes. But this is old news. I have already dealt with this topic a number of times and I need to move on to something that I haven't discussed as much: 

Why on earth do we pretend that we have the same energy levels as in the summertime, and that our minds and bodies are not affected at all by the lack of daylight and sunshine? Why do some people look at me like I'm from outer space when I try to explain that I am tired and I have no motivation? It is not strange, it is completely normal, and the reason is spelled BIOLOGY. If your eyes are not exposed to daylight, the signals from your brain will tell your body to slow down everything from movement to  motivation to appetite. I know our eyes also receive light from artificial sources like lamps and computers, but it cannot compete with the light you get when you are outside. Sure, you can do many things to feel more energized: take a walk before noon, exercise, drink coffee, meet friends, dance, do fun stuff. If you have no job and no obligations (which equals more time). However, most of us do need to keep working at the same crazy pace even in the winter and work is where all the energy to do fun stuff is being sucked in. The most annoying factor is probably other people's expectations on us to perform the way we always do. In addition, the company we work for cannot afford to slow down, maybe not even a little bit. Stupid economic system. Why can't we all just go into hibernation, at least a little bit and for a short while? Most important of all, I would like people to at least acknowledge the fact that all of us are low on energy and motivation this time of year, and that it's nothing to be afraid or ashamed of. Take a chill pill. Relax. I'm not dying, it's just winter. 

Comments